In this article, you will read
Challenges With Planning The Tuesday Menu
Tuesday Menu Breakup
Weekly Menu Planning- Day 1-Tuesday
The Features On The Tuesday Menu
The Theme For The Tuesday Menu
Recipes For Tuesday
Tuesdays are the days to heave a sigh of relief that you have survived the craziness of the manic Monday. It is not the day to slog it out in the kitchen – but it’s the second day of the week – and there can be no compromise on nutrition.
Here is the weekly menu plan for Tuesday The nutritional and parenting inputs to the menu come from WhatParentsAsk.com and the menu design and recipes are brought to you by Ovenderful.
The menu helps you plan meals for the day from scratch. If you are a busy parent or a working mother, stop worrying about ‘what to cook for today?‘ Instead follow the instructions given in the weekly menu plan and find your healthy meal for the day get ready.
- The Tuesday menu must be planned such that it has all the nutrients in the right proportion
- The meals should be easy to cook – so that other pressing tasks – not linked to the kitchen can be accomplished as well.
- The meals should be fun – to set the mood for a great week.
Also read How does a Child become a Picky Eater
- A filling breakfast
- A nutritious 11 am snack
- A power packed tasty tiffin
- An exciting and energizing lunch
- A rejuvenating 4 pm snack
- A relaxing and refreshing dinner
This menu is designed by Simran Oberoi Multani with nutritional and parenting inputs from Dr Debmita Dutta
Breakfast – Idly with Peanut chutney
10 am snack – Baked veggie chips (using sweet potato, spinach, Beetroot and potato slices)
Lunch – Black chana curry, with mixed vegetable stir fry and jowar chappati
Lunchbox – Mixed veg cheese calzone
Evening snack – Date oats nuts bar
Dinner – Black chana broccoli whole wheat burgers
- Each meal sources carbohydrate differently
- The protein sources for each meal are unique
- Three fats have been used in the menu
- Vitamins , minerals and fiber are in focus at every meal whether big or small
- The menu is designed to resemble the junk food that children like so much – with healthy elements concealed in them
- Some key ingredients have been repeated in all the meals to make cooking easy and relaxed.
The key ingredients for the Tuesday menu are boiled Kala chana and mixed vegetables. The Kala Chana is cooked the Indian way for lunch, and included in a burger at dinner time. The mixed veggies are made the Indian way for lunch and the same preparation is hidden in the calzone that makes it to the lunch box.
Parboiled Ponni Rice - 1 1/2 Cups
Urad Dal – 1/2 Cup
Methi /Fenugreek Seeds –1 tbsp
All soaked For 3-4 Hours Separately
- Grind them separately and then mix them together.
- Keep them aside for fermenting for 7-8 hours
- Put some water in an Idly steamer
- Add the batter into the Idli segment after applying oil gee to them
- And put it on the stove.
- Put it inside the idly vessel and let it steam for 5-6 minutes.
- Leave it inside for 3-4 minutes and then serve with chutney / sambhar.
Baked Veggie Chips (using Sweet potato, spinach, beetroot, potato slices).
Thin slices of sweet potato, beetroot and potato
Washed leaves of spinach.
- Place all of these onto the baking tray.
- Drizzle some oil and then sprinkle salt, pepper and basil.
- Bake it at 170 degrees C, for 20 minutes or until they turn crisp.
- Cool off and eat.
Mix-Veg Cheese Calzone ( use the mix veg combination from lunch)
The crust of the calzone can be pre-made and kept.
Wholewheat flour 1 cup
Cold butter 3 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
White and black sesame seeds mixed 1 tsp
- Rub the butter into the flour
- Which has already been seasoned with the salt and the sesame seeds
- Once it is rubbed in well and looks like bread crumbs
- Add the cold water to bring the dough together
- Cling wrap and store for an hour
- Take it out and then cut into small discs
- Put the filling
- Cover it with the remaining half and seal the end
- Brush the top with oil lightly,
- Sprinkle some of the sesame seeds if you want.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until brown, at 180 degrees C.
Black Chana curry
Gingelly or Groundnut Oil 2 tsp,
Cumin / jeera 1 tsp
Bay leaf / tej patta 1
Hing / Asafetida 1/2 tsp
A small stick of cinnamon
Onion finely chopped 1
Ginger garlic Paste 2 tsp
Tomato finely chopped 1 cup
Red chilli Powder
Spices as per taste
3 cup water for 1 cup of chana that has been soaked overnight.
- Put Oil in Pressure cooker
- Saute the jeera, dal cinnamon, bay leaf in the oil
- Then now saute 1 onion, red chilly and ginger garlic paste.
- Then add the tomato and cook until it is soft and loses its rawness.
- Put in the 1 cup black chana and the water.
- Then add the remaining spices except garam masala.
- Pressure cook for 6-7 whistles or till the chana gets cooked completely.
- Open the cooker and add the garam masala. Mix well and serve.
1 cup of jowar flour 1 cup
Mixed the same way as regular chapatti.
This is a tough dough to work with since it cannot be rolled.
So you need to shape the discs with your hands
And then place it onto the tawa for cooking.
Mix Veggies Stir-fry ( Use gingelly/groundnut oil)
Oil -1 tbsp
Seasonal vegetables of your choice
Jeera – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves ( optional)
Dry spices as per your requirement –
- Slightly sauté the jeera and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped vegetables. Let them cook through,
- Add the dry spices. You could add a spoon of water if the vegetables stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Keep stirring until it is cooked.
- Serve hot.
Date , Oats, Nuts – Energy Bar
Roasted oats 1 cup
Chopped dates and almonds/walnuts
Seeds mix like chia seeds, melon seeds, sunflower seeds
Raw unrefined sugar 1/2 cup
Melted butter to get it together.
- Mix all the above first
- Add the melted butter to bring it together.
- Pack it tightly into a square baking tin lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 160 degrees C for 30 minutes and
- Cut it into squares.
- Bake an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Cool off
- Remove the squares and eat or store in air tight container.
Black Chana- Broccoli Wholewheat Burgers (Olive Oil)
Left over chana from lunch or extra boiled chana 1 cup
Grated broccoli 1/2 cup
Boiled potato 1
Salt 2 tsp,
Oregano 1 tsp
Paprika 1 tsp
Crushed garlic 1 tsp
Chopped spring onions 1/2 cup
¼ Cup grated cheese 1/4 cup
Olive oil 1 tbsp
Breadcrumbs 1 cup
- In the oil, sauté the onions
- Add the chana, broccoli, potato and mash them well together.
- Add the seasoning and finally the cheese.
- Mix all of it together.
- Make small burger sized patties,
- Coat them with bread crumbs and shallow fry.
- Use these in wholewheat burgers.