There is something in the name Hot Dog – it instantly makes your mouth water. But as the mouth waters – the mind droops with guilt. And then comes along this recipe from Biscoot Factory by Malavika Shenoy called vegetarian carrot hot dogs.
The words vegetarian and carrot precede the two guilt inducing words. And those two healthy words take away any guilt you may have had. Prefixing hot dog with these two words, makes you feel like springing from your chair – putting together this healthy enticing hot dog and serving it to your child.
So go ahead! It is amazingly easy to put together too!
Vegetarian Carrot Hot Dogs by Malavika Shenoy
Hot dog buns
3 nos (Choose a length that matches the hotdog buns)
Coconut shell/ Charcoal
- Wash and peel the carrots and cut off the ends. Try to round the edges to make it look like a sausage.
- Parboil the carrot and keep aside.
- Make soaking liquid with water, soy sauce, vinegar, chilli flakes and garlic.
- If you can find liquid smoke you can add that to the liquid if not, light a piece of charcoal or coconut shell. Once activated put out the flame. When it starts smoking transfer into a small bowl and keep the bowl in the smoking liquid and cover the whole thing immediately.
- Let it sit for 8-10 mins. Remove the cover and the bowl containing the charcoal.
- Make small fork marks on carrot and drop it in the soaking liquid. Let it marinate overnight or minimum 2 hours.
- In a pan heat some oil and place the carrots along with the liquid. Cook on slow flame until all the liquid has evaporated and carrot has a charred look.
- Remove the carrots and add some water into the pan add the sliced onions with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until the carrots are caramelized.
Cut the hot dog bun lengthwise and toast if desired. Place some salad leaves and caramelized onions. Place the carrot sausage on top. Add your choice of sauces and toppings.
Note: If the coconut shell or charcoal doesn’t smoke when put out drop a spoonful of oil over it. It will start smoking immediately. Enjoy cooking!