The world is made up of words. So how many words does your child know?
Words are all important for your child. Your child needs words to understand the world around him and also to explain the world around him.
Words are essential for a child to understand the world. Every object – every emotion and every action has a name. It is only when a child learns how to use words that he begins to understand the world around him.
Words are also essential for a child to learn new things. Whether a child learns from another person or from a book – what really conveys new information to his brain – are the words in that conversation.
A child also needs words to think. Every thought needs to be framed in words before it can be expressed and executed.
Parents who are eager to help their children succeed in school – must first build their children’s vocabulary. The more words a child knows – the faster he can learn from what he hears and reads.
If you want to build your child’s vocabulary – do the following
- Talk to your child – when you talk to your child he learns new words and he learns how words can be used to create meaning
- Listen to your child – when you listen to your child he learns how to use the words he has learnt. When you listen to your child you also build his confidence
- Read to your child – When you read to your child you help him understand that it is important to listen carefully to what others have to say. When you read to your child it builds his imagination.
Here are some ways to introduce more and more words into your child’s vocabulary –
- Have fun with words – say or sing rhymes, songs and jingles.
- Explain why you are doing things
- Ask your child for ideas.
- Read and tell stories
- Talk with them and listen to them as they talk to you.
i am a mother of a 19month old boy staying in gurgaon. He does not speak a single word. Like u said i have been reciting rhymes stories n poems since he was two months old but its not working at all. M too worried. I talk to him. He listens smtimes but doesnt respond positively n just ignores. I dont knw wht else to do. Can u help?