Phulkas or the traditional rotis that are made every day at home – are sometimes received without enthusiasm when we serve them at mealtimes to our kids.
Kids look grumpy when phulkas appear on the table and say that they want to eat something “different”
But phulkas are undeniably good for children and if their only fault is not being “different” enough – here is a recipe that can act like a magic wand and make them “different” and most desirable
Phulkos – soft shell tacos by Malavika Shenoy
Ingredients and Nutritional Values – for the phulkas
|Ingredients||Quantity||Nutritional value/ 100g|
|Whole wheat flour||2 cups||340 cal|
|Millet flour (optional)||½ cup|
Method for the phulkas
- Sift the flour and millet flour* with salt and add water to make a soft pliable dough
- Keep it aside for 10 mins. Make small balls with dough and roll them in to small rounds.
- Heat griddle and roast the phulkas on the tawa till it begins to cook on both side.
- Take it off the tawa and keep it on direct heat for it to puff up. (only for a few seconds)
- Once done keep it aside
Ingredients and Nutritional values for the filling
|Aubergines||2 medium cubed||25 cal|
|Onion||1 medium cubed||40 cal|
|Peppers||1 no cubed||40 cal|
|Zucchini||1 no. cubed||17 cal|
|Garlic cloves||3-4 nos||13 cal /3 cloves|
|Cumin powder||1 tsp||8 cal|
|Chilli pdr/paprika||1 tsp||6 cal/tsp|
|Turmeric||½ tsp||8 cal/tsp|
Method for filling
- Mix salt, garlic paste, cumin powder, aamchoor, turmeric and chillie powder together and rub them on the cubed vegetables.
- Skewer them and grill them on pan until the vegetables are cooked but are still crunchy.
Assembling the Phulkos
Take the phulka and place some salad leaves (Lettuce, Shredded cabbage, baby spinach) on it.
Place the grilled vegetables in the centre. Add toppings of your choice (mint mayo, hummus, aioli)
You can also add pickled vegetable (carrots, beetroots, olives, jalapenos)
You can use any vegetable you like
You can use any spice mix of your choice to make the marinade. So mix and match different ingredients and enjoy cooking and eating.
Other healthy recipes by Malavika Shenoy Pumpkin Soup and Avocado Ice Cream
If you have a child who is a Picky eater check out these posts How did my Child become a picky eater? Gallery post and When you are upset because your child did not eat
No Responses Yet